Are you looking to purchase a jewelry piece as a gift for that special someone can sometimes be a daunting task as there are countless jewelry designs, diamond shapes and sizes as well as other gemstones available on the market?
However, birthstones make for a great personalized gift. “What are birthstones?”, you might ask.
Well, in this article we answer the question “Birthstone By Month: Which Month Is Diamond Birthstone?” So if you have someone whose birthday is in April you can gift them a diamond piece of jewelry since diamonds are April’s birthstone.
But don’t worry, we’ve also covered other months and their respective birthstones! So without further ado, let’s dive in.
What Is A Birthstone?
Birthstones are gems that represent a person’s birth month. These stones come in various different colors from red to purple and are often worn in jewelry, like in bracelets, rings, pendants, and earrings.
Some people believe that these gemstones were first mentioned in the Bible, in the book of Exodus, when the breastplate of Aaron includes twelve gemstones to represent the twelve Israel tribes.
Over the years, various cultures have come up with their version of birthstones. Most commonly, there are specific birthstones associated with each month of the year, and in some cases, there are even more options, for example, there are three birthstones for June.
There are many legends about birthstones out there, describing their healing powers and therapeutic nature. According to these myths, each birthstone carries its own distinct meaning and powers.
Now let’s cover birthstone options for each month of the year:
January – Garnet
Even though people associate garnet with the red color, these stones are found in nearly all colors and are pretty popular options for any type of jewelry.
Some think of the January birthstone as a protective gem, protecting the wearer from any injuries. This belief made garnets pretty popular among royalty and warriors back in the day.
February – Amethyst
This type of crystalline quartz comes in various purple hues. Amethyst scores 7 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness which is pretty high, meaning it can resist scratches quite well.
The purple color has been associated with royalty for quite some time thus the amethyst was favored by the ruling class.
March – Aquamarine
Being a part of the beryl stone family, aquamarine got its name after the color of seawater. Fairly available and reasonably priced, aquamarine makes a great jewelry gemstone.
As the name of this gemstone comes from the Latin word for “seawater”, aquamarines were believed to guard seafarers. Some link aquamarines with superior intellect and marital happiness.
April – Diamond
Being the most popular and sought-after ring gemstone, diamonds are admired for their clarity and overall beauty, and jewelry that features these gorgeous gemstones is considered a status symbol.
Because of the diamond’s extreme hardness and classic beauty, these gems are linked with eternal love and strength. No wonder diamonds are often used in engagement ring designs.
May – Emerald
Emeralds have been associated with the green color since the days of old. Legend has it that wearing an emerald will grant enhanced intelligence to the wearer.
Some even claimed that an emerald can offer the wearer the power to foretell the future.
June – Pearl
While pearls are actually the only gems created by living creatures (mollusks), most pearls found on the market are cultured or cultivated, since they’re extremely rare in nature.
The pearls of the highest quality exhibit unblemished surfaces thus, there’s an association with several qualities such as honesty, wisdom, and purity. Some cultures think of pearls as divine gemstones, believing they were tears shed from heaven.
July – Ruby
One of the traditional and popular gemstones, rubies are exceptionally durable. The color of the July birthstone is always red and can reach high saturation levels.
Ruby has long been associated with physical strength thus it was chosen by warriors and was believed to be closely linked with the human body.
August – Peridot
Peridots have been adored as jewelry gemstones since classical times. Peridot’s specific shade is based on its source although it always comes in green with considerable variations.
Peridot’s lively appearance fostered ancient connections between the stone and the sun and thus people believed that keeping the gemstone close during the night repelled evil spirits.
September – Sapphire
The pure blue color as well as its fantastic durability make sapphire an outstanding gemstone. However, the September birthstone isn’t always blue as it can come in many different colors.
Sapphires are thought of as protective gemstones. It was believed that sapphires shield the wearer from any physical harm and bad intentions.
October – Opal
Opals are so distinct that their structure patterns have their own expressive vocabulary – each opal is plainly individual. Also, opals are some of the most fragile gems and thus they require appropriate care.
Perhaps because of their dynamic looks, these gemstones are linked with magic. Therefore, some people believed that opals exhibit healing properties.
November – Citrine
Another form of crystalline quartz is citrine which comes in yellow to orange colors. As the“earth tones” fashion rose in popularity in recent years, this readily available gemstone became a popular birthstone.
Citrine is generally linked to happiness and healing. Citrines are believed to bring relief whether you’re having a headache, feeling stressed, or even suffering from insomnia.
December – Tanzanite
Found in Tanzania, this gemstone can exhibit deep blue and violet undertones after heat treatment. Tanzanite can mimic sapphire at a much lower cost but it needs a protective setting.
Some people believe that tanzanite can promote higher consciousness and perception. The blue color of this gem is also believed to bring tranquility to its wearer.
When To Give A Birthstone?
Birthstone jewelry is a perfect personalized gift for any occasion. Here are some popular occasions when gemstone jewelry is often gifted:
- Valentine’s Day
- Job promotion
- Mother’s Day
Related Read: Why Do People Gift Diamonds? Gems As The Perfect Gift
Why Are Diamonds The Best Birthstone?
Of Course, nobody gets to pick their birthdate but anyone who was born in April has been granted the best birthstone: the diamond. These gorgeous gems have a magical mix of physical and intangible characteristics that set them apart.
Diamonds are a perfect ten – at least on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. Diamonds rank at the very top of the Mohs scale and are four times harder than the ninth-ranked corundum family.
Furthermore, colorless diamonds represent one view of a diamond although not the complete picture. In reality, diamonds can come in almost any color imaginable: the rarest, most valuable diamonds of all are fancy color diamonds, which can appear green, pink, red, yellow, brown, or beyond.
Even if fancy diamonds are rare to find, jewelry pieces featuring rough diamonds that show off a gemstone’s natural hues and inclusions have grown quite a bit in popularity in the past several years. If you’re looking for a jewelry piece that showcases lively colored diamonds, this is a perfect choice for you, and best of all, it fits the bill.
Symbolizing love and strength, diamonds have been objects of fascination for thousands of years. No other gemstone has the allure and mystique that diamonds have.
It’s written in the classical Roman literature that Cupid’s arrowheads were made out of diamonds. Ancient Greeks thought that diamonds were shards of fallen stars.
Even if you don’t believe in these mystical claims, hearing about the endless lore that surrounds these precious gemstones is part of their attraction and makes for a great conversation starter.
Diamonds And Astrology
According to ancient astrology, wearing the correct gemstone can bestow you with wealth, happiness, and health. Diamonds are known to provide several astrological advantages, outshining every other gemstone.
Diamonds are believed to possess heavenly powers and are suited for people who seek love and luxury because Venus is the ruling planet of diamonds. Diamond offers plenty of benefits to those of certain zodiac signs but it can be harmful to people with other zodiac signs.
Let’s look at which zodiac sign will get the most benefits from wearing a diamond and which signs should completely avoid wearing diamonds.
- Aries – If you’re an Aries and Venus is the lord of the 2nd or 7th house of your horoscope, be sure to stay away from diamonds. Wearing a diamond won’t be favorable for you.
- Taurus – If your sign is Taurus, then you should definitely wear a diamond. The people of this zodiac sign receive a lot of benefits from wearing diamonds.
- Gemini – Diamonds are also favorable for those of the Gemini sign as Venus sits in the 5th and 12th house of this sign. It is said that people of the Gemini zodiac sign who wear diamonds, will be bestowed with a sharp intellect.
- Cancer – Venus is the lord of the 4th and 11th houses in the Cancer zodiac sign. As such, people of this zodiac should wear diamonds only during the time when Venus is in Mahadasha. Other than that, these people should avoid wearing diamonds.
- Leo – Diamonds aren’t favorable for you if your zodiac sign is Leo. Venus is the lord of the 3rd and 10th houses in this sign and it’s said that people suffer losses in business by wearing diamonds.
- Virgo – Venus is the lord of the 2nd and 9th houses in Virgo. If you are Virgo, you won’t have any issues wearing diamonds as Venus sitting in your zodiac will provide auspicious results.
- Libra – If you are a Libra, diamonds are very beneficial to you. This is because, in Libra, Venus is called the lord of the ascendant, meaning that people of this sign can wear diamonds throughout their whole life and will forever receive blessings.
- Scorpio – Venus is the lord of the 7th and 12th house in Scorpio. In addition, Mars is the lord of this zodiac sign. Due to the discord of Venus and Mars, Diamonds give ill-omened results to the people of this sign so it’s advised that these people avoid wearing diamonds.
- Sagittarius – Diamonds also don’t provide favorable results to the people of Sagittarius since Venus is the lord of the 6th and 11th houses in Sagittarius. If people of this sign wear diamonds, they can experience many troubles with wealth and health.
- Capricorn – Diamonds are beneficial for people of the Capricorn zodiac sign since Venus is the lord of the 5th and 10th houses. If you’re a Capricon, you should wear diamonds.
- Aquarius – Venus is the lord of the 4th and 9th houses in Aquarius and therefore it’s very beneficial for people of this sign. If your zodiac sign is Aquarius, you should wear diamonds during the Mahadasha of Venus. By doing so, you will receive luck and wealth.
- Pisces – Venus is the lord of Pisces sign Jupiter. Because of this, there is ultimate enmity between the two, and diamonds don’t offer beneficial results to the people of Pisces.
Learn More: Diamond Zodiac Sign: What Diamond Goes With Your Zodiac?
So, Which Month Is Diamond Birthstone?
Diamond, a colorless gemstone that exhibits extraordinary brilliance and fire, is a birthstone of April.
Although the most popular diamonds are colorless, some come in a range of colors including green, red, yellow, pink, blue, and purple. However, the April birthstone is traditionally a colorless diamond.
The strength of a diamond makes it a lasting way to express feelings such as love, joy, pride, and commitment now and for generations to come. Wearing your diamond, whether it’s a part of a ring or any other type of jewelry, brings some of that magic into every day.
Lastly, if you believe in Vedic Astrology, you should remember which zodiac sign receives beneficial results from diamonds. Wearing a diamond is auspicious for people of the Taurus, Gemini, and Libra signs.